Thursday, April 9, 2009

Small Pearl Gets a Cleaning



I normally wouldn't wash any part of a vintage cloth doll, but Small Pearl is already so damaged; I didn't feel I could hurt her more. Her outfit is already faded and I can see places were the red edging has bled on to other parts; so I will hand wash it in cold water. I also read an article that said I could, rub cornmeal, cornstarch or talc into the fabric to "clean her." Then I'm supposed to let her sit for 2-4 hours, followed by brushing her well.


Small Pearl's powder "bath" didn't really seem to make much difference (although she has now acquired a nice talc smell). So I am considering plan B. I have also read that I can open a seam, de-stuff her, and then wash her body material. I am considering amputation - doing one leg at a time and seeing how she does.

5 comments:

p u r l g u r l said...

I just received a similar doll like yours as a gift. If you are interested, I will post images of my "Pearl" on flickr via my blog. Thank you for posting this information.

Steph said...

I would love to see the doll! Thanks for you comment and willingness to share.

p u r l g u r l said...

Hi there, I finally uploaded a few images to my flickr account. Let me know what you think of the doll. Best, PG.

Unknown said...

Hello, I have a beautiful Ada Lum doll with similar dirty marks as your lovely little Pearl doll. I was just wondering if you ever managed to get her clean and if so how? I tried the powder idea but with no success. Thanks.

Steph said...

Stephen, Sorry to be late in responding. I haven't checked in on this blog recently. The next option I found was to take her apart... de-stuff and wash the individual cloth body parts. But I haven't had the heart to do so and the material is very old.

Modern Dolls


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones